Certification in Charlotte, NC

New to Diving? Have a question about training? Want to find out more about this thrilling activity? Post your questions here for other divers & instructors to help you on your path!

Moderator: Moderators

ncmurphy
Logged Dives: None Yet

Post by ncmurphy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:55 pm

So I am new to diving.
My son and I would like to get certified so we visited a few shops.

The first thing I learned was that many have closed their doors.

The second is that their sell is for you to buy their equipment.
One stated that if we didn't buy the equipment there then we could not certify with that shop.

So I am not cheap and I understand everyone has to make a living but some of what I have heard is a silly sell.

I am looking for a shop in the Charlotte area where we can be certified and feel comfortable after certification.
I do not want the cheapest shop however I would like a shop which is more focused on certifying me rather than selling equipment.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I want to get certified asap as my son will be returning to school.

I am thinking of fla winter trips once we are certified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

reghunnicutt
JR Member
JR Member
certifications: Master Scuba Diver Padi, Dry Suit, Side Mount Diver
Logged Dives: 101 to 200

Re: Certification in Charlotte, NC

Post by reghunnicutt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:11 am

To get certified you must choose a shop and instructor. Most are Padi instructors and the standards are the same between shops. The choice you have is to pay $300 or $500 for the instruction. Same results. I happened to get these two price quotes yesterday for the same open water class, two different shops, in Charlotte.

Don't be surprised if they try and sell you an underwater breathing apparatus too. It comes in handy.

moose_grunt
JR Member
JR Member
Logged Dives: 501 to 1000

Post by moose_grunt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:40 am

I would beg to differ that you'll get the same results just because the standards are the same...

Something to ask when talking about price is what is included in that cost. Some shops will suck you in with an incredibly low class price, but then charge you for books, pool fees, boat fees, gear rental, and final certification. It's always a good idea to ask not only what is included in that price, but also what's not.

Sorry that doesn't really add any local insight for the Charlotte area, but it may help explain the difference in price...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reghunnicutt
JR Member
JR Member
certifications: Master Scuba Diver Padi, Dry Suit, Side Mount Diver
Logged Dives: 101 to 200

Post by reghunnicutt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Yes it's always good to ask total costs.

Those were net turnkey prices that I was quoted. You must provide fins, mask, snorkel. The experience will differ greatly per instructor with the same result. You are certified open water. Welcome to the learning curve.

I resent, even though it's not my money, a shop that charges top dollar, for training Hawks exclusive recreational latest fade equipment, and then the poor guys is trying to sell all the stuff three years later on Craigs List.

We need to do a better job nurturing New divers and not try to squeeze every bit of the money out of them.

Steve_Campbell
Premium Member
Premium Member
certifications: PADI DM, SDI Solo
Logged Dives: 201 to 500
Diving Interest: All types of Rec diving

Post by Steve_Campbell » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Snorkel mask fin are one thing but I would not go with an op that required me to buy a full set of scuba gear as part of certification. If you are only going to dive coral reefs in the Florida Keys vs you want to do lots of NC coastal diving leads to different considerations as to wet suit, etc.

tbone
Super Poster
Super Poster
certifications: Cave
Logged Dives: 501 to 1000
Diving Interest: Cave, Wreck, Photography

Post by tbone » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Not sure of any specific instructors in Charlotte, but I'd recommend driving up to Greensboro and going with NADCO. Dolphi is fantastic.
http://www.nadco.us/pages/homepage.htm
https://www.facebook.com/NADCO.SCUBA

It's worth the drive.

Return to “New Divers and those thinking about diving”