• Advertisement
Angry face

Board index The Art and Science of Diving Spearfishing

A place to discuss spearfishing.

Moderator: Moderators

Lobster Hunting

Postby juan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Well, this is not spearfishing, but this seems like the closest place to post this topic. I think this would be a fun and tasty skill ;), and there seems to be plenty of dive sites to do this here in NC. What is the best way to learn how to lobster hunt? Is it difficult? Do dive shops offer classes? I know there are rules on what size lobster you can catch, no pregnant lobsters...are are other rules? Is a license required? What type of equipment is required? Is there a lobster season in NC?
juan
SR Poster
SR Poster

certifications: PADI OW/AOW, SDI Nitrox
Logged Dives: 51 to 100
Diving Interest: Wrecks and reefs

Re: Lobster Hunting

Postby anytime » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:28 pm

You can keep two spiny lobsters per person. If you see a lobster off of the NC coast it will be big enough to keep. You have to catch the lobster and are not allowed to shoot one with a spear gun. No lobsters can be taken with berries (eggs). There is no season and you will have to have a NC saltwater fishing licence.

If this does not make sense I am sorry. It is easier to show in person.

Catching them is easy. No need to pay someone for a class. You will find them along small ledges and out croppings and will see the antenna first. Approach them slowly and take your hand and and wave it slowly in front of the antenna about two inches away. The lobster will sense your hand and both the antenna will follow it. Sweep them out of the way and away from your free hand. Take your free hand and grab the horn of the antenna while it is distracted. It must be the horn and not the antenna itself because they will break. Pull the lobster out and hug it. Now, at this point I carry 3 big zip ties with me on my stringer. I zip tie the tail to the stringer and move on. If you have to carry it for the rest of the dive then hang on because as soon as your grip loosens they will make a break for it. A good pait of gloves is a must.

Slippers are much better than spinys, and much easier to catch but much harder to see.
anytime
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks for the helpful info. I'd like to try it sometime.
juan
SR Poster
SR Poster

Postby SPEARIT » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:56 am

There is a short video on my website http://www.spearitcharters.com in the photo section, that gives a fair example of how to catch a NC lobster.
SPEARIT
SR Poster
SR Poster

Logged Dives: I can't count that high let's go dive

Postby Tortuga » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:00 am

SPEARIT wrote:There is a short video on my website http://www.spearitcharters.com in the photo section, that gives a fair example of how to catch a NC lobster.

I love that video!! :D
Tortuga
Master Poster
Master Poster

Logged Dives: None Yet

Postby juan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 am

That is a cool video...is that an NC Diver in action?
juan
SR Poster
SR Poster

Postby rye » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:41 am

Spearit..

Great videos.. I checked out your site too.. but I guess I am blind, I failed to notice where you are out of on your site.

What kind of fish were the ones speared in the 3rd video...
rye
JR Member
JR Member

Logged Dives: 0 to 20

Postby SPEARIT » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:17 am

The boat is kept on the south end of Topsail Island. We were shooting grouper and hogfish that day.
SPEARIT
SR Poster
SR Poster

Logged Dives: I can't count that high let's go dive

Postby rye » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:39 am

thanks! the megladon teeth were great!
rye
JR Member
JR Member

Logged Dives: 0 to 20

Postby David » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 pm

anytime wrote:You can keep two spiny lobsters per person. If you see a lobster off of the NC coast it will be big enough to keep. You have to catch the lobster and are not allowed to shoot one with a spear gun. No lobsters can be taken with berries (eggs). There is no season and you will have to have a NC saltwater fishing licence.

If I'm reading the regs properly, the saltwater license is only needed for "finfish" not for lobsters. Anyone have a cite for where it says you need it for lobsters?
David
Premium Member
Premium Member

certifications: AOW, SDI Solo Diver, McGyver School of U.W. Construction
Logged Dives: 101 to 200

Postby WMCampbell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:00 pm

David, I am pretty sure they require the license for lobster. Fin fish or not. I know the Marine Fisheries boys check them for size and eggs on private boats. Most of the big dive boats have the blanket permits......I can't site a code though......
Mike
Nemo me impune lacessit
WMCampbell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:17 pm

We were talking about the license issue at the past dive club meeting, the speaker was with the NC Division of Marine Fisheries. He talked to the powers that be and informed us that we do not require a license for bugs, only finfish. Paul said he called the shop later and confirmed that . I'm still going to carry my license because I bet the law boys out on the water may be unsure about the rules regarding lobster. I bet they don't see many coming in so I'd rather be safe than sorry. They need to add lobster to the regulation sheet.
http://www.wilmingtondiving.com

Need some extra cloud storage that syncs between all you computers? Let me refer you. (Gets me extra storage space)
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMyMDUxODk5
Pat
Super Poster
Super Poster

Logged Dives: 501 to 1000

Postby WMCampbell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 pm

David....do what Pat says. That way if you get cited we can follow your case to the NC supreme court and offer superfluous commentary. Not the there is EVER a question about our judicial system......not by me....no siree.....

Pat I am still trying to find those photos of the sinking of the Ramsey. I had some closeups of the hull going down and some taken from the top of SeaPath Towers with smoke rising from the charges.......I'm sure they are here in all this shit somewhere......
Mike
Nemo me impune lacessit
WMCampbell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:01 pm

WMCampbell wrote:Pat I am still trying to find those photos of the sinking of the Ramsey. I had some closeups of the hull going down and some taken from the top of SeaPath Towers with smoke rising from the charges.......I'm sure they are here in all this shit somewhere......
Mike

Talks cheap Old Man, I want those pictures! :D Take your time, I appreciate you looking for me.
http://www.wilmingtondiving.com

Need some extra cloud storage that syncs between all you computers? Let me refer you. (Gets me extra storage space)
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMyMDUxODk5
Pat
Super Poster
Super Poster

Logged Dives: 501 to 1000

Postby WMCampbell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:28 pm

Ha! The old part is the problem.....I can't remember where I put them....or to zip my pants.........
Mike
Nemo me impune lacessit
WMCampbell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Spearfishing